Friday, August 27, 2010

Raspberry Rhubarb Pie

Ingredients
4 cups Raspberries
2 cups chopped Rhubarb Stalks
1 1/2 cup Sugar (I like raw organic sugar)

Crust
(I use the crust recipe on the back of the Crisco tub...I have tried crusts with butter but Crisco seems to just work for me and makes a nice flaky crust. Someday I want to perfect a real french pastry crust using butter)

2 cups Flour
3/4 Chilled Crisco
4-8 TBS ICE Water
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Sugar

Directions

Mix the filling ingredients and set aside.

Blend the flour, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Cut the chilled Crisco into the flour mixture using a fork or pastry blender until it turns into pea-sized pieces. Sprinkle the ice water in slowly until it starts to hold together. Divide into two pieces and let it rest for about 10 minutes. Then roll the pieces out on a well floured surface and use for the top & bottom crusts of your pie.

Pour you Raspberry Rhubarb filling into the bottom crust. Place the top crust on and make three slices in the top for the steam to escape.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. It is helpful to place a cookie sheet on the rack below the pie to capture any "spillage."

I will have a much better pie crust tutorial soon! And better pictures of this pie!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good...I always use the Pate Brisee recipe on Simply Recipes...and it turns out really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You pies are always the best with a nice flaky crust. Reminds me of when Nana baked.

    ReplyDelete