Thursday, August 26, 2010

Garden Rolls with Ginger Plum Dipping Sauce


I have made these for a few of my friends this summer! They loved them! It makes a nice light lunch.
They are essentially California Rolls using a leaf of swiss chard rather than Nori. I wanted to make sushi and had all the ingredients except the Nori. So I used what I had in my garden that day...Rainbow Swiss Chard leaves. AND the swiss chard leaves are much easier to work with than Nori, I think!

Ingredients

Nori or Swiss Chard
1 carrot, julienned
1 avocado, sliced thinly
1 six inch piece of cucumber, julienned
1-2 radishes, julienned
1 green onion, julienned
1 cup cooked white rice (I like Jasmine rice)

Directions

If you are using swiss chard leaves (or kale leaves would work, too) blanch them for 30 seconds in boiling water then transfer to an ice bath. After the leaves cool, spread on paper towels to dry.
If using Nori, make sure to wet the edges a little before rolling it up.

Place a scoop of rice on the swiss chard leaf and spread out into a row horizontally across the leaf. Add any veggies you like. Roll it up and place on a plate with the seam side down so it adheres together.


Ginger Plum Dipping Sauce

3 TBS Soy Sauce
2 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Siracha Chili Paste
3 TBS Hoisin Sauce
1 clove crushed Garlic
1 TBS Grated Fresh Ginger

Mix together and add more of any of the ingredients to suit your palate! This is the same dipping sauce from my pot sticker recipe. I love it!

You can slice the rolls into bite sized pieces or serve whole! Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I do want to try these as they look fantastic. Can I borrow some chard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look fantastic! I love sushi, but have never tried it with chard...yay for trying new things :)

    ReplyDelete