Thursday, December 15, 2011

Simple Chai by Sweet Roots


- Simple Chai -


Today's holiday drink is brought to you by 
Mary Banducci of Sweet Roots {Infusions of Herbal Life}. 

When Mary and I were in high school we had a favorite cafe in downtown Coeur d'Alene that served THE best chai tea in town. It wasn't from a pre-packaged, powdered mix. They blended and brewed the spices themselves then steamed it to perfection with soy or almond milk. It was delightful!

That cafe closed a year or so ago and Mary and I have been craving their chai for a long time. Thanks to Mary's herbalist studies she knew just how to brew it.


It is so unusual, spicy, and aromatic! You can read the recipe here. I highly suggest you try it! Well worth the extra few minutes to steep the whole spices and your house will smell lovely for the holidays!

Mary and I order our spices from Mountain Rose Herbs.  You can also purchase all of these in the grocery store but MRH is much more affordable and then you have these whole lovely spices on hand for other baking and brewing recipes!

Azure Standard also carries some of these spices. 

For Coeur d'Alene locals, Pilgrims has a bulk spice section with all of these spices available!

Mary likes traditional chai as seen in her recipe...I tend to add in more spices that aren't necessarily traditional to chai. When I made it I added a vanilla bean, allspice berries, star anise, and nutmeg. 

My favorite milk is almond milk but it's delicious with any type of milk! You'll also want to add a dap of honey or agave to sweeten it before you drink it!

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I will endeavor not to overdose on all the delish looking drinks on here right now....

    ReplyDelete