Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ravelry

I've been working on my first "real" knitting project other than a scarf! I'm attempting to make a baby afghan! Of course, like the naive knitter that I am, I bought the yarn before I chose a pattern! And, of course, I buy the most expensive yarn I can find not realizing it may take over 1000 yds to make a suitable sized afghan!!! But it will be beautiful and warm and cozy for baby!

I chose Spud & Chloe yarn! Some of the cutest yarns out there!

My pattern is a simple garter stitch pattern that I found on ravelry.com. Anyone can become a member for free and have access to thousands of free knitting and crochet patterns!

A few weeks ago, a daughter of a patient asked me to knit with her for a while after her mother passed away. She knitted me these cute little baby socks! She inspired me to pick up my knitting again and make something for baby!


I sat and knitted with her for a little over an hour. I felt completely inadequate about my garter & purl stitch skills while I sat next to her as she knitted an elaborate sweater of silk yarn with about 5 or 6 needles sticking out at all places! I can barely manage 2 needles! She was so kind and helped me start a pair of baby socks with my own yarn! I have yet to finish those. I figured I should take a step back and master an easier project first before I continued with baby socks!

Here is the first corner of my afghan. 70+ yards into it, I had no idea projects like this took so much yarn! The end product will be well worth it though!

1 comment: